We know what it’s like being on a budget. That’s why we decided to give you some easy options to save a little cash this summer and still have fun.
- Circulating air more effectively rather than running the air conditioning. According to an article we read at QuickandSimple.com, you can save more energy by opening windows and using portable fans or ceiling fans in every room. This will both cut down on costs and is also more environmentally friendly.
- Cancel cable for the summer. By cancelling your cable subscription, you can save at least $20 a month (if you’re splitting the cost with a roommate). This also gives you more incentive to go outside.
- Make iced coffee at home. In the article at QuickandSimple.com, they suggest making coffee slushes. To make a coffee slush, take coffee and poor it into ice cube trays. When the coffee has frozen, just pour the ice cubes with cream and sugar into a blender. Hit “Blend,” and walah! Iced coffee slush!
- Carpool. Either to work, to your summer class, or just going out with friends, you can save a ton when you carpool with friends.
- Shop at your local farmer’s market for produce rather than the grocery store. According to QuickandSimple.com, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, string beans, and red bell peppers are in season right now. You’ll save when you decide to buy local, as local farmers will often charge less than a store for produce that’s in season.
- Use your microwave. In another article on QuickandSimple.com, using your microwave for four minutes will generate less energy than heating dinner in your oven for a half an hour. This way you can save money and time.
- Stay local. You can have just as much fun in your area if you are “in the know” about what is going on. In an article we read at MintLife, they make the point that by staying up-to-date with what is going on, you can often find free events in your area that might tickle your fancy.